Wednesday, August 30, 2017 | Uncategorized
THE LIVE AUDITION
1. Be in shape and be fit! Be in the best shape you’ve ever played.
2. On audition day, be warmed up and ready to go.
3. Deep breathing and self-talk will help your confidence.
4. Have calming foods or tea before your audition. Here are some examples.
Chamomile tea, or Rooibos tea
Probiotics found in yogurt
5. After I've been playing a while, I find that brushing my teeth just before I play again helps. I'm not sure why, but maybe it's the mint in the toothpaste? Test this out before audition day and see if it works for you.
6. Practice sight-reading every day.
7. Clean your instrument and mouthpiece. Also, dress nice. If you look good, you'll feel good.
8. If you prefer to stand, then stand. If you play better sitting down, then ask to sit. Adjust your stand and anything else to make you as comfortable as possible.
9. Practice introducing yourself, just in case you need to.
10. This will most likely not be your “best take” of the music. Expect a stumble or two, and when they occur just keep playing.
11. Don’t empty spit valves on the floor without asking. They may want you to use a wastebasket or a rug or a rag.
12. Be ready to answer questions. What school do you go to? Who are you studying with? What do you like about band? Why are you auditioning?
13. Have a couple questions ready for the audition committee. For example; How many of my instrument get accepted? How soon do I find out if I'm accepted?